Friday 21 September 2012

Videos I'm Influenced By


Onerepublic - Good Life


I absolutely LOVE the idea of this video. Everything from the quick edits that complement the fast drum beats to the way the shots of the band look so authentic and like a canvas painting. I love that sometimes you can see 'creases' in the shots and it looks like an animated picture. Also, even though the video is vastly performance based, the fact that the posters are travelling throughout so many different locations creates a sense of narrative. One scene I especially admire is at 1:13 where the members of the band are seen walking from one poster to another. In addition, the fact that the posters are a different opacity to the locations they are being shown in, emphasises the contrast in settings. During the bridge of the song, the video turns more performance based but I love the narrative as it suggests a journey from the band traveling, to then arriving to a secluded spot where they can perform.



Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks


The thing I like most about this video is the mixtures between animated and real. I love that when the characters are walking through the scene, they move to the beat of the song and when they encounter various creatures along the way, at 1:50 for example, they appear to sing the 'HEY!' lyric. I think that the black and white creates an authentic look and love the splashed of colour throughout the video. I admire the imaginative settings and the whole video reminds me of am adventure film. I am actually considering adding some animated creatures to a woodland scene in my own video.


Newton Faulkner - Clouds


I adore the simplicity of this video. I love the frequent use of aerial shots to represent the clouds that accompany the lyrics "stop looking down at the ground" along with the use of slow motion shots when there is a break in the lyrics. I think that the use of natural locations like the beach and streets really works with the style of artist he is. I also think that the opening scene reminds me of Lego toys and the whole video carried a feel of nostalgia. 


Coldplay - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall



I love how colourful this video is. I love how narrative and performance are mixed in this video with the lyrics of the song appearing in different forms in various locations as well as being performed by the band. I admire the scene where the band are performing in a dark room with the glow in the dark paint and I personally can recognise some of the album artwork on the walls. The video is very happy and makes me feel happy when I watch it and that is one of the things I love most about it. I also like the the use of repeated shots one after the other as it compliments the beat of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment