Friday 28 September 2012

Audience Demographics & Psychographics

I think that the target audience for my music video is likely to be females aged 15-25. This is because the storyline for the video will be about love and relationships and I think that by the age of 15, girls are likely to have experienced a 'crush' or a relationship with a guy. I think that the concept is more fitting to a female audience because the story is being told from the point of view of a female and is biased towards their feelings. The lyrics are about overcoming heartbreak and I think that a female audience is likely to find this very inspiring and will feel as if they can relate to the artist through personal experience.



As the target audience is mainly young adults, they probably won't have much experience of the world of work and were social classes come into play, and would therefore be students or just coming out of education such as university. However I would imagine that the parents of my target audience would fit into the social classes B-C2 with skilled, authouritive and managerial positions. I think that the parents would have a very busy schedule and this would leave the children to seek advice about love and heartbreak through the lyrics of the song I have chosen. I think that at a young age, they would need a role model and that the artist in my music video would be just that.

I can imagine that the music video and song would appeal to the majority of young girls as well as many girls at the older end of the audience I am targeting. As the song is of the pop genre, deriving from 'popular', the artist is going to have mainstream success and likability. Therefore the psychographics of my audience would be 'mainstream' and I think that they would be very conscious of the type of music that is topping the charts as well as keeping up with trends. I feel that my target audience would have a need for status as well as being materialistic. I want the video to reflect current trends through costumes and colour schemes to in-keep with the personality of the audience and I might consider incorporating intertextual references in the video to create personal identity with the audience, thus applying the Uses and Gratifications theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment