Tuesday 5 March 2013

Evaluation Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?




When identifying the roles and purposes of my video, I wanted my video to assist in the audience’s ability to escape their own lives and become a part of my artists. I believe that the cohesion between the song lyrics and the visuals that I am providing for the audience will make it easier for this purpose to be fulfilled, as there is a clear narrative to the video that the audience can identify with as a love story. Perhaps the frequent use of eye contact that has been employed within the shots I have chosen will give the video the appearance that it is being presented to the audience rather than them choosing to watch it. I wanted the narrative of the video to appear fairytale-esque and I have highlighted this nostalgia by featuring black and white pictures hanging from the trees in the misé-en-scene of the video. I believe that the theme of nostalgia will also aid the audience’s escapism and thus, allow me to fulfil the role that I want my video to play. Additionally, an obvious purpose of my video is to entertain the audience and I believe that the woodland setting that I utilized creates a look that is aesthetically pleasing as well as ‘bringing the outside in’. I assume that audience members looking to access the video would do so inside and the fact that I have included shots of the outdoors, trees, leaves and the sky also allows them to ‘escape’ to the setting of my video. All of these factors I feel create a greater sense of enjoyment for my audience and assist in the escapism that I was hoping to provide them.

I think it was important to create a unified theme for both my video and ancillary tasks to follow and the theme that I believe is most evident in my work is love, although I also feel that a sense of nostalgia is present across the products. This is mainly down to the fact that the song I have chosen is a love song, though the song is more about overcoming heartbreak and being independent following the end of a relationship. My artist is depicted in a wedding dress throughout the entirety of the video and the magazine advert that I have created and she is accompanied with black and white photos hanging from a tree behind her. These props emphasise the nostalgic theme as my artist is pictured reflecting on her past and what she thought was a happy time. I believe that it will be easy for the audience to identify with my artist and I have tried to depict her as a strong inspirational role model for the female target audience to aspire to replicate.

The house style of my products also reflects my themes of nostalgia and love as I have chosen colours and fonts that I felt best represented these themes. I have gone for a very formal font that has the appearance of being handwritten, I believe that this illustrates the idea that the products are personal to each member of the audience and appear to be part of a ‘story’, written or put together by my artist. I have also chosen the colour red to accompany the otherwise black and white colour scheme. Red has obvious connotations of love and passion, whereas black and white photos add to the idea of reflection, past and nostalgia. Overall, I can say that I believe my main product and ancillary tasks fulfil their role and purposes for the audience and work together to effectively highlight my chosen themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment